The arrest of a suspected Congolese stolen-phone dealer in Uganda has renewed concerns over the growing cross-border trade in stolen mobile phones across East Africa, with police investigations pointing to a regional network moving devices from Uganda into the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) for resale.
Police said stolen mobile phones are being transported from Uganda to the DRC for resale following the arrest of a 34-year-old Congolese national in Nansana, Wakiso District.
A statement by Kampala Metropolitan Police Deputy Public Relations Officer Assistant Superintendent of Police Luke Owoyesigyire said the suspect, identified as Justine Kulimushi, was allegedly part of a network that sourced stolen phones from Kampala Metropolitan, had them factory-reset or flashed, and transported them to the DRC.
“Kulimushi was arrested on August 20 after intelligence indicated he had returned to Uganda to buy more stolen phones at Kalungi Plaza. Police recovered 27 second-hand mobile phones of different makes and models and are continuing investigations to establish their sources, identify the rightful owners and trace other people linked to the alleged network,” the statement added.
Police said his arrest followed investigations into the theft of an iPhone valued at approximately UGX 3 million (about Sh104,450), which was reported at Nansana Police Station on April 21, 2026.
“Tracing of the stolen phone revealed that it had been taken to Kalungi Plaza and later transported to Beni in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Further intelligence indicated that the suspect frequently travelled to Uganda to purchase stolen phones for transportation to Congo.”
On Thursday, police received information that the suspect had returned to Uganda and was buying stolen phones from Kalungi Plaza. This prompted a joint operation by officers from Nansana Police Station and intelligence officers, leading to his arrest.
“The suspect was identified as Justine Kulimushi, a 34-year-old Congolese national. Police recovered 27 second-hand mobile phones of different makes and models, which had reportedly been factory-reset or flashed. The phones are suspected to have been stolen from different parts of Kampala Metropolitan and collected for resale to the suspect and other dealers,” the statement said.
Kulimushi remains in custody as investigations continue to establish the source of the phones, identify their rightful owners and trace other people involved in the alleged network.
Kenya link
The case comes months after detectives in Nairobi arrested two people linked to an alleged international phone theft syndicate and recovered more than 900 stolen mobile phones.
In January, detectives arrested Brian Yomasia and Stephen Okwachi Shisia following an intelligence-led operation in Nairobi’s Central Business District along Charles Rubia Street, near the busy Buscar bus stage.
Police intercepted two packages destined for Uganda. Upon opening them, detectives found approximately 900 stolen mobile phones, 16 tablets and six laptops.
“Preliminary investigations have revealed that the two suspects, who were unable to provide a satisfactory account for the mobile phones in their possession, are part of a larger phone theft syndicate, involved in stealing phones from innocent members of the public, as well as from mobile phone shops, and selling them in neighbouring countries.
The recovery came two days after another raid in which detectives recovered 75 mobile phones packed in sealed boxes and two laptops from Nambajwe Zaina, alias Aisha Nalubanga alias Zainab, a Ugandan national who was arrested at her residence in Shauri Moyo.
The woman was found to be a link between receivers in Kenya and buyers in Uganda, allegedly working with several accomplices, including Kalyowo Sam, who was also arrested in Shauri Moyo.
Detectives also recovered 16 tablets and 19 mobile phones from James Mwangi Gachoka at his shop in Tusker House along Ronald Ngala Street.
Samuel Sifuna Simiyu, a loader at Starways Express, was arrested for allegedly facilitating the movement of consignments through selected drivers at Kangemi Bus Station.
In Ngumba Estate, Abonyo Adhiambo Mourine was arrested with two phones and two laptops, while additional phone components were recovered from her shop, Jamki Accessories, along Tom Mboya Street.
In Thome Estate, Kelvin Kuria Wanjeri was arrested after detectives recovered 46 assorted mobile phones from his residence.
Meanwhile, Mike Ngugi Mwaura was arrested at a garage along Chogoria Road in Industrial Area, where detectives recovered eight mobile phones and a laptop from his vehicle.
“The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) remains steadfast in its commitment to dismantling black-market networks and curbing phone snatching and related crimes across Kenyan towns,” the DCI said at the time.
Despite the arrests and recoveries, phone snatching continues to be a persistent problem on the streets of Nairobi and in major towns across the country.
Credit: Source link