Continental Postal Services of Hebland

US Supreme Court lets Trump continue work on White House ballroom for now


The US Supreme Court on Friday allowed President Donald Trump’s administration to continue construction of his White House ballroom project for now, temporarily pausing a judicial order that would halt much of the development.

The court’s action, known as an administrative stay, gives the justices additional time to consider the administration’s formal request to let it continue working on the US$400 million ballroom while a lawsuit by a historic preservation ‌group seeking to stop the project proceeds.

In an August 14 filing to the Supreme Court, Justice Department lawyers echoed Trump’s contention that the project is a security necessity, citing assassination attempts against the president and other recent threats.

“This case involves an extraordinary and unlawful injunction that will halt the ongoing construction of the integrated military complex, including a totally secure ballroom space, at the East Wing of the White House, which is vitally required by national security,” they said.

The non-profit National Trust for Historic Preservation sued last year after the administration tore down the White House East Wing and began building a 90,000 sq ft (8,360-square-metre) ballroom without seeking specific ⁠approval from Congress. Trump has said the ballroom will be “the greatest of its kind ever built”.

Construction workers stand at the site of the planned White House ballroom on Wednesday. Photo: Reuters

The project combines the above-ground ballroom with an extensive underground complex.



Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.