US-Iran war latest: Trump calls Iran war ‘a little detour’ as Tehran keeps up defiance ahead of looming sanctions
Iran has urged Qatar to aid with the transfer to dry land of four Iranian pilots — missing since the downing of their aircraft earlier this year — after Kuwait agreed to facilitate access to the men, according to Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency.
“The location for holding the Iranian pilots on the water is not suitable,” Bagherzadeh said Saturday, as reported by Iranian state-run Mizan news agency. “Qatar should, to preserve their health, transfer the prisoners at the earliest opportunity to land and an equipped hospital.”
Bagherzadeh earlier called on the Red Cross to aid the pilots out of concern for their physical condition, Tasnim said.
“This step has created a glimmer of hope for the swift release of these dear individuals,” Bagherzadeh said, referring to the Kuwaiti government’s initial agreement to allow the Iranian ambassador to meet with the pilots in Kuwait.
For context: Last week, Qatari spokesperson Majed Al Ansari refuted Iran’s claim that its pilots had been detained as prisoners in Qatar after hostilities back in March. “We categorically deny the claims that have been circulated regarding the detention of Iranian pilots,” he said in a post on X.
Al Ansari said Qatar had “fulfilled their duty to the fullest in searching for the pilots’ remains,” adding that it had co-ordinated with Iran to return the remains of one pilot, and invited Iran to visit Qatar to learn more about the rescue efforts in April, although Iran did not respond, he said.