The death toll from the Lake Kariba ferry disaster has risen to at least 92. Zimbabwean police said eight additional bodies were recovered on Monday, August 17, bringing the total from 84 to 92. Search and recovery operations are still continuing.
Zimbabwe’s Civil Protection authorities have reported that 77 people were rescued following the capsizing of the vessel. However, authorities have not yet established a definitive passenger manifest, making it difficult to determine exactly how many people remain unaccounted for.
Police previously confirmed that 18 children were among those who died. Sixteen of the children were aged 10 or younger, with the youngest reported to be just 14 months old.
Police say they have deployed two large boats, two smaller boats and more than 40 sub-aqua personnel to the search and recovery operation. Authorities are also working with other government agencies and stakeholders to identify recovered bodies and notify families.
There are now unverified reports suggesting that as many as 222 people may have been connected to the voyage, based on ongoing tracing of passengers and families. However, this figure has not been confirmed by Zimbabwean authorities and should not yet be reported as the official passenger count.
President Emmerson Mnangagwa declared the incident a State of Disaster, while authorities launched a major rescue and recovery operation. Funerals and memorial activities have already taken place in Kariba, with families continuing to identify victims.
The disaster has now been described as Zimbabwe’s deadliest public-transport accident, surpassing the country’s previous major transport disasters.
Meanwhile, Zimbabwe’s Catholic Diocese of Chinhoyi has called for the support of families affected by the ferry disaster on Lake Kariba, as the death toll from the August 11 tragedy reached 84, with rescue and recovery operations continuing.
In a statement that ACI Africa obtained on Monday, August 17, Bishop Patrick Ngwenya said that the diocese received the news of the disaster with “deep sorrow,” affirming that his Episcopal See is already coordinating pastoral support to the affected families.
Bishop Ngwenya of Chinhoyi Catholic, who also lost some parishioners in the incident, expressed spiritual solidarity with all the victims.
Credit: Source link