HARTFORD, CT – Temporary Protected Status for Haitians living and working in Connecticut will end Monday, after a brief extension by an appeals court.
Thousands in Connecticut could be affected; many Haitians in Connecticut work in the health care field and elder services, officials said.
Temporary status has allowed people from countries with natural disasters or armed conflicts to legally live and work in the United States.
The federal government is pushing to end the program in its entirety after a Supreme Court ruling last month cleared the way for the Trump administration to remove the protected status from both Syrian and Haitian immigrants. The Department of Homeland Security has determined Haiti no longer meets the conditions for that status.
Gov. Ned Lamont on Friday said that however brief the extension, it matters.
“It means thousands of our Haitian neighbors, coworkers, and friends can keep showing up to work and keep earning to support their families for a few more critical days,” the governor said in a statement. “I’m calling on employers across Connecticut to do everything they can, within the law, to keep their Haitian employees working for as long as this window stays open. Every shift worked and every dollar brought home makes a real difference for families facing enormous uncertainty right now.”
Further updates are expected Monday.
“My administration will continue to monitor this fast-moving legal situation closely and will keep employers and affected residents informed as we learn more,” Lamont said. “In the meantime, I want every Haitian family in Connecticut to know that you are valued members of this community and we have your backs.”
In Other News…
Employee Ownership Or Private Equity?
Still relatively unknown in Connecticut, employee ownership is a way for business owners to keep their business open when they retire and to preserve their legacy. According to Robin Lamott Sparks, executive director of the Connecticut Center for Employee Ownership, it helps keep jobs local and stabilizes the community.
CT Receives $53M To Support Farmers After 2023 And 2024 Crop Losses
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has awarded Connecticut a $52.9 million Farm Recovery and Support Block Grant for eligible farmers in the state who experienced losses in 2023 and 2024 due to severe weather during that period, according to Gov. Ned Lamont.
Hartford Pushes Forward With New Housing
As the state continues to struggle with an affordable housing crisis, a partnership between state and local government and private developers is providing new home ownership opportunities in the state’s capital city.
Analysis | Key Questions Missing In The Lamont-Elliott Debate
Healthcare analyst Ellen Andrews, Ph.D, says Wednesday’s Democratic gubernatorial debate was missing a key topic: Healthcare. There were no healthcare questions, despite its staggering cost and its impact on Connecticut’s affordability.
Motor-Voter Rules Under Scrutiny After Revelation That West Hartford Business Owner Seized By ICE Was Registered To Vote
Although state officials say that he never voted, West Hartford business owner Seyo Cecunjanin, who was taken into custody by ICE and then released last month, appears to have been registered to vote in 2018 while obtaining a driver license, despite not being a U.S. citizen.