“They Robbed the Entire Community”: Destruction at El Pozito Archaeological Site Shocks Guinea Grass
A piece of Belize’s Maya history has been destroyed, and authorities are now trying to determine who is responsible. The damage occurred at El Pozito, an archaeological site just outside Guinea Grass Village. The discovery that has left residents who once saw the site as a potential economic opportunity for their community in shock.
Guinea Grass Village Chairman Benito Uk says the damage was discovered earlier this week. “Just Monday then Mr. Ramos and the team, I think they find out what happened in that Pozito area. We have different farmers, cane farmers around that area. And also we have close by a farm where the Mennonite I think have purchased that area.”
The timing has made the loss especially painful for residents. Just last month, villagers met with Dr. Keith Epicch of the College of East Texas and a team from the Institute of Archaeology to discuss plans for developing and preserving the site. “Last month at the same place, we had a meeting with the team, the IA, the archaeological, preparing and planning now what they could assist in the area, in the Pozito, how the village will benefit from that area once they start to develop. And that was the plan.”
For Guinea Grass, a community Uk describes as largely dependent on farming, El Pozito represented more than heritage, it was seen as a potential source of jobs and income, following the model of nearby Lamanai. Programme for Belize, which oversees the Lamanai reserve, says the surrounding communities there benefit directly from its protection. Executive Director Edilberto Romero explains. “The community has realized that the reserve is benefiting them, not only through scholarship but through other things that we also employ most of our staff from the communities, the work we do, the tourism, the sustainable timber operation. Basically, we inject over a million dollars of funds to the economy, to the communities.”
The Northern Maya Association of Belize issued a release Thursday condemning the destruction, describing El Pozito as more than a structure, calling it a living link to ancestors, a classroom for future generations, and part of the shared inheritance of all Belizeans.
Uk says whoever caused the damage didn’t just harm a historical site, they took something from the entire community, and he’s calling on residents to help identify those responsible. “I don’t know who did that. That is the responsibility of police to find out now and investigate who did that, and it’s sad now for the community because that was the plan with the team. Now, just recently they were here, and then that is what occurred, almost a month ago after what happened.”
Credit: Source link