Continental Postal Services of Hebland

Houthi attacks kill five in Yemen as rebels target Marib


DUBAI: Houthi attacks on Yemen’s Marib province killed at least five people Friday, according to a minister and military source, as the rebels escalate strikes on the region a day after their deadliest attack in years.
The latest violence has raised the spectre of a return to war in the Arabian Peninsula’s poorest country, where a 2022 truce between the Houthis and the government had largely held before unraveling last month.
A Houthi drone strike in Marib killed three members of government forces, a Yemeni military source told AFP, while the health minister for the government said the rebels shelled residential areas and displacement camps in Marib city, killing at least two civilians and injuring 14 others.
The health minister Qasim Buhaibeh said in a post on X that “shelling by the terrorist Houthi militia today, Friday, targeting residential neighborhoods and displacement camps in the city of Marib, has resulted — according to an initial toll — in the deaths of two civilians and injuries of varying severity to 14 others.”
The Houthis had also launched “more than 10 missiles and seven one-way attack drones targeting military camps in Marib” province, the Yemeni military source told AFP, requesting anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.
“Three killed and four wounded in a preliminary toll from the Houthi drone attack on the Harib area, in the south of Marib,” the source said.
The rebels have not announced any assault but said Thursday that they had attacked several sites.

Strategic province

Thursday’s attacks with missiles and drones killed at least 58 government troops, mainly in Marib, an army source earlier told AFP, in one of the deadliest incidents between the two sides in years.
The Yemeni military source previously said artillery exchanges and clashes were taking place in Sirwah and on the Al-Kasara front, north of Marib city, where Houthi drones were spotted.
The rebels also hit an arms depot in the region.
Strategic Marib province is split between the Houthis and the Yemeni government, which controls the city of the same name as well as the area’s oil fields and facilities.
The Houthis in 2021 resumed an offensive seeking to take the energy-rich province, but the fighting was largely halted after a nationwide truce was agreed in 2022.
Yemen, which has been embroiled in more than a decade of war, last month became the latest front to be sucked into the US-Iran conflict, as the Tehran-backed Houthis upended the 2022 truce.
The rebels welcomed an Iranian plane directly to the Yemeni capital Sanaa, triggering a series of tit-for-tat attacks, and later announced a maritime blockade of Saudi Arabia and began hitting its tankers.
Last month, the Houthis also killed 16 troops in an attack on government-aligned forces south of the port city of Hodeidah, two medical officials told AFP.



Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.