Author: James Atem Kuir | Published: 11 hours ago
Mobile network operators MTN, Zain, and Digitel, which provide voice and internet services across South Sudan. Courtesy photo.
Mobile network operators have increased the cost of calls and data bundles, marking the third and final phase of the Tariff Exchange Rate Adjustment approved by the National Communication Authority (NCA) in June.
According to a source at the National Communication Authority and a text notification sent to customers by one of the telecom operators, the latest tariff adjustment took effect at midnight August 17.
The three-phase adjustment began in June after the NCA approved the new charges.
The authority said the measure is intended to help telecommunications companies remain operational amid growing economic challenges, including high inflation, the depreciation of the South Sudanese pound and limited access to foreign currency.
Mobile network operators, including Digitel, MTN and Zain, had previously defended the tariff adjustment, saying it was intended to sustain reliable communication services amid rising operational costs.
The operators attributed the increase to inflation, rising fuel prices, depreciation of the South Sudanese pound, limited access to foreign currency and the need to continue investing in telecommunications infrastructure.
At the time, the operators said the adjustment would be implemented in phases to reduce its impact on consumers.
The National Communication Authority said it directed operators to absorb a significant share of inflationary pressures to help safeguard the sustainability of the telecommunications sector.